Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Departure

We leave tomorrow and we will not be back until August 19. I shall not be online while we are away.

During our absence, one of our dearest friends will depart on his own glorious vacation.

J.R. Donasco, one of God’s kindliest and most precious creatures, will be traveling in Mexico, Brazil and Argentina in the latter half of August, visiting Mexico City, Rio De Janeiro, Sao Paolo and Buenos Aires.

J.R. writes about art, literature, music, drama, opera, poetry, ballet, European football, Marcel Proust and the world of high fashion in what is indisputably the classiest site on the worldwide web. I fear that the world may come to a standstill—if not an outright collapse—while he is away, unable to sustain and refresh itself with a daily dose of high culture, beauty and inspiration.

All I can say, J.R., is that I am relieved that your vacation will overlap, at least in part, with our own! Hurry back! You will be missed greatly.

We wish you the happiest and most splendid of journeys!

2 comments:

  1. *Blushes* galore.

    Thank you, Andrew and Joshua.

    I wish you a very, very, very happy, trip!

    J.R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew:

    It was a great pleasure meeting you and your family. Thank you for making us feel so welcome. I hope we were not intruding on your mother’s birthday dinner.

    As Calvin mentioned to you months ago, I have been reading your blog for almost a year. I felt as if I knew you even before tonight. It was a joy to make your acquaintance in person.

    I have never forgotten your comment, “Yes, Miss Mapp was at sea over that matter, wasn’t she?” That was the single wittiest remark I ever encountered. It was at that moment I knew I wanted to meet you. Calvin told me I would not be disappointed. You did not disappoint.

    Allow me to wish you and your family a wonderful holiday exploring our lovely countryside. I hope you won’t be disappointed.

    On behalf of Calvin and myself, we thank you for such a lovely meal.

    We shall reciprocate the next time you are in the UK. Even if we have to wait until Josh completes law school, we will not forget to return the favor.

    Edythe

    ReplyDelete